It's hard to believe that summer is almost over and Labor Day is just around the corner. Alas, all good things must come to an end, or so they tell us. Why not make the end of summer one to remember for you, your friends and family? Why not have a party to say farewell to lazy day activities and welcome in the fall season?
Entertaining doesn't have to be a chore. Planning a party sometimes CAN be hard work, but I like to think of entertaining as giving a gift to my friends and myself! When you frame it that way, everyone wins and everyone has a good time. People love to eat, and what better way to share a good time than with great food and fun activities.
Doesn't Cherry Tomato Bruschetta sound like a heavenly way to break the ice at your Labor Day Party? What about Labor Day BBQ'd chicken that has a little extra zing added? And you can't forget a special dessert to celebrate the holiday. How does Mississippi Mud Cake sound? Yummy!
There are so many different combinations of great food you can put together for a Labor Day Party. Let me help by sending you to my Labor Day recipes page. All the recipes mentioned above can be found there, just look for the URL in my bio. It's chock full of great ideas. So, read on to get some fabulous tips for having a really fun Labor Day party.
- Have the party outdoors. This is a given, but make it special by using summertime colors: ripe reds and golden wheats.
- Have lots of bowls of fruits filled with peaches, tomatoes, oranges avocados. Not only are they pretty to look at but you can eat them when the party is over!
- If you want to use centerpieces for your tables, choose flowers like Gerber daisies that have the beautiful red-orange colors throughout their blooms. Accentuate the daisies with white baby's breath or some other kind of small, delicate fern or flower. Simple is in. Simple is big. Keep it simple.
- People aren't the only ones that enjoy eating outdoors. So do mosquitos and other tiny flying varmints. Be prepared with citronella candles and torches and light them before dusk sets in.
- Make sure you have more than enough ice. Summer may be coming to an end, but the weather can still be pretty darn hot and the last thing you want are crabby dehydrated people at your party!
Want some games to play? Try a couple of these - especially if there will be lots of kids around:
- Have a water balloon fight. Not only cools everyone off, but kids and adults can both enjoy it!
- Guess how many candies are in a jar. Winner is the person who guesses closest to the actual amount. You can have a prize for the winner and another prize for the person who is the farthest off from the amount of M&Ms.
- Have bubble gum available and have a bubble-blowing contest.
- Have a stomp rocket or water balloon challenge - highest, farthest, slowest, etc...
- Have a 3-legged race.
- If you have a pool, play Marco-Polo. Or, get a net for your pool, stretch it across the width and play water polo.
- Play limbo. How low can you go?
Don't forget to visit the Labor Day Recipes page at Easy Appetizer Recipes to find more inspiration for a celebration of the laborers of our country and to learn more about how Labor Day History came about.
Enjoy and have a happy and safe Labor Day!
Important: Please feel free to republish this article on your web site or in your ezine. However, you are not allowed to modify any part of its content and all links should be kept active.
By Sara Gray